July 8, 2010

The Beautiful Bay of Byron

Last week I went to Byron for a couple of days of fun, drinking and camping with my lovely lady friends. Why we decided to conduct this little adventure in the middle of winter, I have no idea. So we went to Byron and it was as glorious as ever. The beach, the people, the shops, the food, the music, the whole atmosphere all just combine to create one of my favourite places in the world. I love it there.

Now that I am eighteen I can add the pub and club scene to the list of happiness that is Byron Bay. The first pub we went to whilst there was the Beach Hotel.. I am pretty sure it was called that anyway. Probably the main pub at Byron right on the beach with live music. My friends and I were very keen to groove to the chilled beats but noone else seemed to be dancing. But that has never stopped us before! We all boogied into the middle of the dance floor and, although first looking a tad silly to some of the more sober patrons, inspired others to join in. Before too long the dance floor was full and after quietly feeling very accomplished at our abilities to spread joy, we moved out into the street to continue our night and found a pair of buskers at the street corner whose music naturally inspired us to dance in front of them like loonatics. Ahh Byron can do crazy things to you :)

Not only is the atmosphere at night great, but in the day there are so many beautiful experiences and sights to enjoy. The beaches for one are sublime. Maybe not so inviting this time in the cold of a NSW winter, but in summer I could not think of a better place to be. We did go to the beach once while we were there this time. We got all ready with our togs on, lathered in sunscreen - with the sky looking cloudless and the sun shining we thought it would be quite warm. We walked to the beach from our campsite, First Sun - which was conveniently right next to both the main beach and main shopping street - to find the beach scattered with normal people all rugged up wearing shoes, pants and jackets. Once again we looked a bit crazy. Nevertheless we were not disheartened by the strange looks we recieved and proceeded to lie in our bikinis on the beach and soak up some much needed sun. Even in the chilly winter breeze, I have got to say that lying on a beach in Byron is much funner than sitting at home on the couch watching tv, which I am currently doing.

The view of the beach from the campsite was quite stunning.

Well I am back home now in lame ol' Brisbane after leaving the lovely little town and am wishing I was there again. We plan to return to Byron when one doesn't seem insane for lying half naked on the sand. Ahhhh, I can't wait for summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment