July 9, 2010

A Hanging Mystery

While riding on the bus to and from uni I have always been aware of the three pairs of shoes that hang on the streets powerlines within about a 20 metre radius of each other.

Every time I pass them they make me wonder. Why are they there? Who is now missing there shoes? Who threw them? Why did they throw them? Did they do it for fun? Are they just a little insane? Or was there a reason behind them taking a pair of shoes, knotting the laces together, and flinging them to the power lines above?



I once read in Frankie magazine - one of my favourites - that people sometimes do it to signify and mourn when someone has died. I found this rather intruiging. Or another reason was to express one's loss of virginity. Ohhh and the plot thickens. The shoes could also be a marker for the house of a drug dealer. This did make me wonder. Maybe this is the reason behind the sets of shoes I see every day when I travel to uni! I must admit that the thoughts of these mysterious shoes, why they came to be there, and the idea of uncovering a drug dealer in the midst of St Lucia are some colourful fantasies that keeps me quite occupied for my bus trips. Every time I see those shoes.

I am determined to look into the crazy world of shoe tossing even more. Like so many other odd little fads in our society it just caught on. But why? And does it even matter? Ahhh just another mystery in our crazy world.

1 comment: